The Society of British and International Design (SBID) is the UK representative organisation to the European Council of Interior Design and Architecture (ECIA).
We guide and measure the profession’s trading standards through practice, knowledge and education. We steer and aid our members in increasing their profile, protecting and promoting their reputation and creating new opportunities.
The Society of British and International Design (SBID) is Britain’s standard-bearer organisation to the profession of interior design and the national organisation representative at the European Council (Interior Architects & Designers).
- SBID is the only body in the UK working as part of the ECIA* in Brussels. We also work with NCIDQ* which has taken its first steps outside of USA & Canada. Alongside these organisation we create, protect and promote industry standards.
- We achieve this by setting standards of education, competence, personal development and best practice. This work is aimed at increasing the reputation and trade for design professionals and industry providers.
- We have led change in Britain by creating industry standards on a par with those of our partners around the world. Through consultation and campaigning we work to create a trusted and agreed standard of education and experience for a design professional. This gives the assurance to clients that an SBID registered designer is qualified to the highest standard in the UK and equal to the best in the world.
- We promote premium design at all price-entry points. We endorse products by quality, sustainable manufacture and use that exceeds pure functionality.
- We do not accept applications for membership from any individual or company that does not meet the European Council of Interior Architects (ECIA) code of conduct. The code is used by us when we look at the educational qualifications, experience and market position of every application.
- We will end our partnership with any company, individual or group that breaches our standards. We do this even if it is to our short term detriment.
- We encourage and accept applications from industry providers who can meet the five-point entry system; value for money, customer service, copyright owned & created, sustainable manufacture process and design-led innovation through products and processes.
- We champion ideas and ownership against duplication and theft. We will challenge areas of the industry which operate unethically, by exclusion, favouritism or by anti-competitive conduct.
- We set out and maintain these standards to help create jobs and aid our members in selling their services and goods through trade and export. We want to ensure that future generations of industry professionals have the skills and education to prosper and succeed.
- We provide an independently accredited Continuing Professional Development (CPD) qualification to providers as well as access to industry-wide seminars and training. We arrange many free-of-charge CPDs for our members.
- We created a bespoke SBID professional indemnity insurance policy with an independent interfacing Letter of Appointment, both specifically formulated for SBID members. The SBID insurance policy also provides dispute resolution for our members and their clients. This provision is unique in the British interior design industry. It aims to stop disputes escalating into costly and damaging court cases.
SBID is an apolitical not-for-profit* independently funded organisation. All profits are put back into the Society for the benefit of its members. This membership organisation is Britain’s fastest growing destination for industry professionals.
*ECIA -European Council Interior Architects - SBID British representative
*NCIDQ – National Council Interior Design Qualification – SBID British & European partner, representative of 37 Countries
*Not-for-profit – Company profit is NOT distributed to shareholders, it is injected back into the company for the benefit of the industry members. Shortfalls are underwritten.
Each year, the Society of British and International Design reviews the activities and business of the past twelve months and we inform the industry of our intentions and vision for the year ahead.
Click here to read the SBID Year of Ownership 2013.