The Society of British and International Design (SBID) represents the interests of manufacturers, practitioners and education. Our objective is to promote the profession at the highest level of competence to provide consumer protection and, in doing so create a clear separation between professionals and hobbyists.
SBID guides and measures the profession’s trading standards through practice, competence and education. We steer and aid our members to protect and promote their reputation, raising their profile and creating new commercial opportunities.
Members qualified to join SBID are interior designers, architects, manufacturers, developers, specifiers and design professionals from anywhere in the world.
As the sole British representative to the European Council of Interior Architects (ECIA) (registered in Brussels in 1993), where trading standards for interior design in Europe are created, SBID provides unrivalled consumer protection to the industry.
As the standard-bearer for professional British interior design we open new markets in the UK where previously, due to a lack of standards, Britain had been excluded.
SBID established best practice and a professional code of conduct across Britain for the profession of interior design. In association with Europe (where Britain is governed by law) we encourage and promote innovative ideas to improve well-being for occupants of a building in work, home and in leisure.
How we do it
- Working in Britain for the first time, the European Council of Interior Architects (ECIA) based in Brussels and the National Council of Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) who have taken their first steps outside of USA & Canada, we jointly consult to create, protect and promote industry standards worldwide.
- Together we have led change in Britain by creating industry standards synonymous with our global partners. We listen, consult and jointly create the route to a career for a design professional to provide accurate advice for a fee. This procedure creates comfort to consumers in the knowledge that a SBID accredited designer is qualified to the highest standard in the UK and equal to the most prestigious academic capability in the world.
- SBID sets educational standards of knowledge, competence, personal development and best practice in the UK. This helps increase trade for design professionals and industry providers.
- We exist to generate business through trading standards, to help create jobs, sell goods through trade and export but also as an industry duty to hand over skills to the next generation.
- We promote premium design at all price-entry points. Endorsing products by quality, sustainable manufacture and use that exceed pure functionality by design.
- We champion ideas and ownership against duplication and theft.
- We encourage and accept applications from industry providers who meet the five-point entry system; value for money, customer service, copyright owned & created, sustainable manufacture process and design-led innovation.
- We reject or redirect applications for membership from individuals or companies that do not meet the ECIA (European Council of Interior Architects) code of conduct.
- We continually challenge the industry for positive change where size and dominance has reigned unethically, by exclusion, favouritism or anti-competitive conduct.
- We provide an accredited CPD qualification. Access to an industry-wide selection of seminars, training and industry news are available free of charge for members.
- Over a three year research period, SBID with an independent insurance provider has created a Professional Indemnity Insurance Policy uniquely formulated for SBID members. The SBID Professional Indemnity Insurance Policy provides dispute resolution, not just for our members, but also for members’ clients. This facility unique to the British interior design industry aims to prevent disputes escalating to courts, prevents smaller sums of money being written off by our members and in doing so reduces industry complaints.
Collectively SBID creates the industry standard that improves the reputation of the design profession in the UK and globally.
SBID is an apolitical not-for-profit independently funded organisation. All profits are ploughed back into the company for the benefit of its members. The not-for-profit national membership organisation is Britain’s fastest growing destination for leading industry professionals.